Tuesday, June 3, 2008

World Science Festival Notes


Yes, that is me speaking at the World Science Friday evening. Nice to have a huge screen for my images, all the fantastic help, and, of course, the latest technology.

Wow. Just returned from the five day festival in NYC which was one of the true highlights of my life. Every event sold out, lines around the block for tickets, and 100,000 people out for the street fair at NYU.

My event entitled the "Sixth Extinction" was remarkable. I spoke for about ten minutes on climate change and sailing through the NW Passage last summer at the moment in time when the Arctic's summer sea ice disappeared for the first time in recorded history. I followed paleontologist, Dr. Richard Leakey, oceanographer, Dr. Ellen Prager, with audio historian, Bernie Krause, in turn, following me.

What a special evening. Sold out crowd at Columbia University and a round table discussion followed our individual presentations. Special time with special people.

I want to thank the entire WSF staff, from top to bottom, for the tremendous work you accomplished and the great success achieved. Not only were you very professional, Id have to say you were all quite fun. Cheers mates!

I will continue to post links and quotes from the various sources who covered the event from Science Magazine, NY Times and ABC News amongst others. This was truly a remarkable event to be involved with and quite an honor to say the least.
Enjoy the reading and I will keep compiling!

Live links-
Science Magazine
NY Times
Science Festival News Links

No comments: